Sometimes that ‘sweet thing’ craving simply won’t be satiated with a tablespoon of Nutella, eaten whilst crouching on the kitchen floor, half inside one of the food cupboards. I tried it. Then I continued to crouch inside the cupboard, pondering what chocolatey sweet thing I could easily make right NOW.
‘Ice cream with Nutella? nah
Breadsticks in Nutella? nah
Another batch of Almond and Nutella Sweet Rolls? mmm yeah, that’d be good, but can I trust myself to wait for the dough to prove without just shovelling it all in my mouth raw? nah
Ooh cherry pie filling. That’s been sitting in the cupboard for a while. Ok, now we’re onto something!’
That’s how these gooey, soft, sweet inventions of deliciousness came about.
Ok, I still had to wait for 25 minutes for them to cook, but it was worth it!!
Cherry Nutella Blondies (serves 9-12):
- 120g butter, softened
- 175g light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 125g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Half of a 400g tin of cherry pie filling
- 3 tbsp. Nutella
- Preheat the oven to 170c. Line a 20cmx20cm baking tin with baking parchment.
- Cream the butter and sugar together, add in the egg and vanilla extract and stir until combined. Add in the flour and baking powder and thoroughly mix.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared baking tin. Spread it out so it reaches the edges.
- Separate the cherries from the cherry liquid (reserve the liquid). Give the cherries a quick rinse and gently pat them dry. Chop the cherries into thirds and scatter over the cake mix. Push them in a little with your finger.
- Spoon the Nutella onto the mix in about 10 blobs. Use a cocktail stick or a knife to give the Nutella a bit of a swirl around. Take 1 tbsp. of the reserved cherry liquid, blob and swirl this in the same way you did the Nutella.
- Place in the oven and cook for 25 mins. Then remove from the oven, leave to cool in the tin for a couple of minutes before removing from the tin and placing on a cooling rack to cool further. Remove baking parchment and slice before serving.
**Tip** These blondies will keep in an airtight container for up to 5 days