Meet my new go-to sponge recipe.
A lot of experimentation and a bit of luck, and this has turned out to be one of my favourite GF recipes so far. It’s sweet and light, and you simply can’t tell it’s gluten free.
The sponge mix works great for cupcakes (you’ll see some coconut lime GF cupcakes on here soon!) and for family sized bakes like this. Most of this cake was wolfed down in minutes with a nice dollop of ice cream, and in fact I can see my husband hovering in the kitchen finishing off the leftovers right now 🙂
Gluten Free Pineapple & Coconut Upside Down Cake (Serves 8):
- 50g soft, unsalted butter
- 50g caster sugar
- 7 pineapple rings (preferably pineapple rings in syrup from a tin, but fresh, or tinned in juice will work fine too)
- 7 glace cherries
- 140g gluten free plain flour
- 70g coconut flour
- 2 tsp gluten free baking powder
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 200g granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 50g desiccated coconut
- 2 large eggs
- 70ml vegetable oil
- 400ml full fat coconut milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Juice of 2 limes
- Preheat your oven to 170c. Begin with the pineapple topping. In a bowl, beat the butter and sugar together for a couple of minutes. Then spread this over the bottom of a 20-22cm loose bottomed cake tin. Arrange the pineapple slices over the bottom of the cake tin and place a cherry in the middle of each.
- Now make your sponge. In a large bowl, mix the plain and coconut flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, sugar, salt and desiccated coconut. This is your dry mix. Then in another bowl, mix the eggs, vegetable oil, coconut milk and vanilla extract. Then add in the lime juice. Pour this wet mix into the dry mix, give everything a stir until combined and pour into the cake tin on top of the pineapple slices.
- Place in the oven and cook for 40-50 mins. You can check it’s done by inserting a skewer into the cake. If it comes out clean, it’s done.
- Leave to cool for about 10 mins, then run a knife around the cake (to ensure it’s not stuck to the tin), turn upside down onto a plate, remove the cake tin and serve with ice cream.
***Tip*** To store, place in an air tight container and refrigerate. It should keep like this for 3-4 days.